Designing the Creative Child: Playthings and Places in Midcentury America

Even in these days I am reading a very interesting book about children creativity. It is “Designing the Creative Child: Playthings and Places in Midcentury America” by Amy F. Ogata, a Ph.D.  professor at Princeton University. 
From her personal page: “My research explores the history of modern European and American architecture, design, and decorative arts, as well as world’s fairs, and the material culture of childhood. My most recent book Designing the Creative Child: Playthings and Places in Midcentury America appeared in 2013. Historicizing the idea of childhood creativity, I show how material goods such as toys, playrooms, playgrounds, books, schools, and even museums produced for the American baby boom participated actively in forming the notion of the creative child after World War II.”
Unfortunately I can’t share the entire book, but yesterday I found this video that can be a good “appetizer”; enjoy it!


Amy Ogata, “Design, Creativity and Postwar American Childhood” from D-Crit on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment